Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 26, 2012

A thought occurred to me

I remember something I once heard in a movie review for the remake of the Blob and it actually applies to the review we did of King Kong vs Godzilla that will be on the podcast showing up here in the next few days.

We as viewers of these films are getting lazy or unimaginative because we have to have things explained to us.

In the original Blob all we knew was that it came from a meteor from space (I know, where else would it come from) however in the remake it turned out to be from a satellite that crashed to Earth. I don't feel this made my enjoyment any greater and if anything it took away some of the sense of wonder.

What does this have to do with KK vs G?

In the American version there is a reporter that basically acts as an almost narrator that explains it all. This does not do anything to really move the story along although it is less intrusive than in the second Godzilla film where the narrator basically turns the movie into an audio book.

My question to all of you is this:

When watching movies of this sort, do we really need explanations for everything or is it okay to let our imaginations fill in the blanks a little?


No comments:

Post a Comment